I can tell you that a primary reason I attend church where I do is because of the pastor. I listen to him each week because I believe what he has to say. If at any point he took the pulpit and he was preaching contrary to my beliefs or understanding, I would leave and take my family elsewhere. I have never had to say "I don't agree with what he spoke on today" or "I believe most of what he says but not that". I can stand up comfortably every week and say I agree. Amen! I don't believe I am any different than "most folks". For those individuals that attend church I suspect most, if not all, attend because of the pastor and his teachings. The pastor is to be the teacher that a congregation is to learn from. He should be the rudder for the church. I, of course, understand that no man is infallible and everyone sins and can fall. The question at hand is not a single error or mistake but a pattern. A pattern of hate and racial bigotry. A pattern of division and separation. A pattern of teaching that does not lend itself to training members of a congregation to be effective leaders. An individual who sits week after week hearing slurs against others and does nothing is not fit to lead, especially a country. Not only a country but a melting pot of races, ideas and religions. I can honestly say that my thoughts and approach to life are molded every week by what I hear from my pastor. He has a tremendous amount of influence in my life and the life of my family. Having said this I cannot walk quietly away from the statements made by Barak Obama's pastor. Barak has listened to this man preach for many years. He has encouraged his family to be an active part in this church. His choice was his. He was not forced to listen. He chose to listen! He chose to be a part of this teaching. He chose not to leave. Now he expects me to believe that these are not his feelings and that he does not support his pastor in what he has said. As always though, actions speak louder than words. Barack chose to stay! He could have spoken out against this pastor. He could have left this church. Barack choose to stay! Policies aside, most of which I disagree with Barack on, I cannot remain on the sideline while he stands up and says "I don't agree with my pastor statements" or "I didn't know this is how my pastor felt." I must take a stand and shout, "Barack I will not stand up for you". Barack, if you have sat for years under the tutelage of a bigot then my family and I will take our votes elsewhere. Barack, your pretty speeches do not cover for where you have been sitting. God "Bless" America!
Election 2008 - My Pastor
Posted by Anonymous | 12:44 PM | David Pitney, Democratic Primaries, Election '08, Main, Obama | 0 comments »
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments
Post a Comment